February 12, 2016
This Valentine’s Day, work up a sweat while cozying up to your special someone with these couples exercises! Studies have shown working out with your partner can increase your happiness in a relationship, help you achieve your fitness goals, and improve your emotional bond. When your partner is heading to the gym, there’s some serious motivation to join them. While going on a hike or a run is always a fun choice, this total-body workout routine will help build your muscles and your relationship.
Exercise #1 – Alternating Front Leg Lunge
This exercise works your legs, butt, and abs as long as you keep them tight!
- Both partners face each other and grasp hands
- Partner one steps backward into a lunge with the right leg, while partner two steps forward with their left leg. Go as low as you can, keeping your bent leg off the floor
- Return to standing, and then repeat with the opposite leg. Repeat 10 times on each leg.
Exercise #2 – Squat/Push-Up Wheelbarrow
This move really requires you to work together, even though you are doing different moves.
- Partner one lowers into a squat against a solid wall
- Partner two gets into push up position, and raises their legs one at a time into their partner’s hands.
- Partner one does 15 pushups while partner two holds the squat while holding partner one’s ankles. Switch and repeat.
Exercise #3 – Medicine Ball Twist
This is a great way to work your abs while staying close to your partner. If you don’t have a medicine ball, pick up any other large weighted object.
- Kneel on the ground, back to back with your partner.
- Partner one twists to one side to hand the ball off to partner two who is turned toward them.
- Partner two twists to the other side to hand the ball back to partner one. Continue passing for 60-90 seconds, then repeat in reverse.
Exercise #4 – Squat Thrust Slam
Keep that medicine ball for this total-body move.
- Partners stand a few feet apart from each other. Partner one lowers into squat position holding medicine ball in front of their chest.
- Partner one explodes up, slamming the medicine ball on the ground, bouncing it toward partner two.
- As Partner two receives the medicine ball and lowers down into a squat with medicine ball in front of chest, Partner one performs a squat thrust, placing hands to ground and jumping feet back to plank position.
- Partner two performs the medicine ball slam, while partner one jumps feet towards hands, rising up to standing to receive the medicine ball while Partner two performs a squat thrust. Repeat for 12 reps.
Exercise #5 – Cardio Blast
Finish the circuit with a blast of cardio – but make it a competition for some added fun. See who can complete the most squat jumps, mountain climbers, or other cardio challenge in one minute.
Complete this circuit 2-3 times for a great workout that can be done anytime. As they say couples, who sweat together, stay together. So get sweating with your special someone to lose some weight, but gain strength in your relationship!